ABOUT THE JOB
Cabinet makers & bench carpenters cut, shape, and assemble wooden articles or set up and operate a variety of woodworking machines, such as power saws, jointers, and mortisers to surface, cut, or shape lumber or to fabricate parts for wood products.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Verify dimensions or check the quality or fit of pieces to ensure adherence to specifications.
- Produce or assemble components of articles, such as store fixtures, office equipment, cabinets, or high-grade furniture.
- Measure and mark dimensions of parts on paper or lumber stock prior to cutting, following blueprints, to ensure a tight fit and quality product.
- Set up or operate machines, including power saws, jointers, mortisers, tenoners, molders, or shapers, to cut, mold, or shape woodstock or wood substitutes.
- Establish the specifications of articles to be constructed or repaired or plan the methods or operations for shaping or assembling parts, based on blueprints, drawings, diagrams, or oral or written instructions.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Deductive Reasoning — The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Inductive Reasoning — The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Near Vision — The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Oral Comprehension — The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Hand clamps — Bar clamps; Cam clamps; Quick-release clamps; Wedge clamps
- Planes — Block planes; Jointer planes; Shapers; Smooth planes
- Power routers — Panel routers; Plunge routers; Portable routers; Table routers
- Power saws — Circular saws; Reciprocating saws; Rip saws; Sliding panel saws
- Wood chisels — Morticers; Parting tools; Roughing gouges; Skew chisels
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $29,730 or $14.29/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $19,660 and $42,310.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2024)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 62% had a high school diploma or equivalent. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations