Watch a pro
Carpenters construct, erect, install, and repair structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, using carpenter's hand tools and power tools.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Study specifications in blueprints, sketches, or building plans to prepare project layout and determine dimensions and materials required.
- Measure and mark cutting lines on materials, using a ruler, pencil, chalk, and marking gauge.
- Shape or cut materials to specified measurements, using hand tools, machines, or power saws.
- Install structures or fixtures, such as windows, frames, floorings, trim, or hardware, using carpenters' hand or power tools.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Manual Dexterity — The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Trunk Strength — The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing.
- Visualization — The ability to imagine how something will look after it is moved around or when its parts are moved or rearranged.
- Information Ordering — The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Ladders — Extension ladders; Fold-up ladders; Non-conducting ladders
- Levels — Calibrating electronic levels; Laser levels; Torpedo levels; Visible beam laser levels
- Power saws — Beam saws; Circular saws; Reciprocating saws; Worm-drive saws
- Screwdrivers — Multi-tip screwdrivers; Phillips head screwdrivers; Straight screwdrivers
- Tape measures — Cross-curve tape measures; Measuring tapes; Story pole tape measures
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $36,740 or $17.67/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $25,830 and $51,020.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2024)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 54% had a high school diploma or equivalent. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.