DRYWALL AND CEILING TILE INSTALLERS
Drwyallers apply plasterboard or other wallboard to ceilings or interior walls of buildings & apply or mount acoustical tiles or blocks, strips, or sheets of shock-absorbing materials to ceilings and walls of buildings to reduce or reflect sound.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Fit and fasten wallboard or drywall into position on wood or metal frameworks, using glue, nails, or screws.
- Measure and cut openings in panels or tiles for electrical outlets, windows, vents, plumbing, or other fixtures, using keyhole saws or other cutting tools.
- Assemble or install metal framing or decorative trim for windows, doorways, or vents.
- Read blueprints or other specifications to determine methods of installation, work procedures, or material or tool requirements.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Arm-Hand Steadiness — The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
- Extent Flexibility — The ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs.
- Manual Dexterity — The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Near Vision — The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Trunk Strength — The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Hand sprayers — Pistol hopper guns; Texture guns; Texture sprayers
- Lifts — Drywall lifts; Mini lifters; Roll lifters
- Putty knives — Corner knives; Joint knives; Taping knives; Wipe-down knives
- Saws — Drywall ripping tools; Drywall saws; Wallboard saws
- Trowels — Bullnose trowels; Drywall trowels; Inside corner trowels; Outside corner trowels
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $36,400 or $17.50/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $27,980 and $48,530.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2024)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 42% had less than a high school diploma. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.