HELPERS - BRICKMASONS, BLOCKMASONS, STONEMASONS, AND TILE AND MARBLE SETTERS
ABOUT THE JOB
Help brickmasons, blockmasons, stonemasons, or tile and marble setters by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Apply caulk, sealants, or other agents to installed surfaces.
- Correct surface imperfections or fill chipped, cracked, or broken bricks or tiles, using fillers, adhesives, or grouting materials.
- Move or position materials such as marble slabs, using cranes, hoists, or dollies.
- Apply grout between joints of bricks or tiles, using grouting trowels.
- Arrange or store materials, machines, tools, or equipment.
- Locate and supply materials to masons for installation, following drawings or numbered sequences.
- Provide assistance in the preparation, installation, repair, or rebuilding of tile, brick, or stone surfaces.
- Remove damaged tile, brick, or mortar, and clean or prepare surfaces, using pliers, hammers, chisels, drills, wire brushes, or metal wire anchors.
- Remove excess grout or residue from tile or brick joints, using sponges or trowels.
- Clean installation surfaces, equipment, tools, work sites, or storage areas, using water, chemical solutions, oxygen lances, or polishing machines.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
ABILITIES YOU'LL NEED TO HAVE
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
AT A GLANCE
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2015, the average annual wage in a Tennessee was $27,280 with most people making betweeen $20,490 and $37,260
Wages by Industry
Building Finishing Contractors: $28,680.00
Foundation, Structure, and Building Exterior Contractors: $31,010.00
Nonresidential Building Construction: $32,300.00
Other Specialty Trade Contractors: $25,700.00
Residential Building Construction: $27,880.00