Millwrights install, dismantle, or move machinery and heavy equipment according to layout plans, blueprints, or other drawings.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Insert shims, adjust tension on nuts and bolts, or position parts, using hand tools and measuring instruments, to set specified clearances between moving and stationary parts.
- Align machines and equipment, using hoists, jacks, hand tools, squares, rules, micrometers, and plumb bobs.
- Assemble and install equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Lay out mounting holes, using measuring instruments, and drill holes with power drill.
- Signal crane operator to lower basic assembly units to bedplate, and align unit to centerline.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Arm-Hand Steadiness — The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
- Finger Dexterity — The ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very small objects.
- Control Precision — The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
- Manual Dexterity — The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Multilimb Coordination — The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting, standing, or lying down. It does not involve performing the activities while the whole body is in motion.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Calipers — Dial calipers; Inside calipers; Outside calipers; Vernier calipers
- Hammers — Brass hammers; Dead-blow hammers; Soft face hammers; Steel hammers
- Hoists — Chain falls; Chain hoists; Overhead hoists; Tuggers
- Levels — Carpenters' levels; Electronic levels; Laser levels; Precision levels
- Punches or nail sets or drifts — Center punches; Hole punches; Prick punches; Transfer punches
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $46,190 or $22.21/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $31,930 and $60,810.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2024)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 63% had a high school diploma or equivalent. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.