Pile-driver operators operate pile drivers mounted on skids, barges, crawler treads, or locomotive cranes to drive pilings for retaining walls, bulkheads, and foundations of structures, such as buildings, bridges, and piers.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Move hand and foot levers of hoisting equipment to position piling leads, hoist piling into leads, and position hammers over pilings.
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Drive pilings to provide support for buildings or other structures, using heavy equipment with a pile driver head.
- Move levers and turn valves to activate power hammers, or to raise and lower drophammers that drive piles to required depths.
- Clean, lubricate, and refill equipment.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Multilimb Coordination — The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting, standing, or lying down. It does not involve performing the activities while the whole body is in motion.
- Control Precision — The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
- Depth Perception — The ability to judge which of several objects is closer or farther away from you, or to judge the distance between you and an object.
- Reaction Time — The ability to quickly respond (with the hand, finger, or foot) to a signal (sound, light, picture) when it appears.
- Manual Dexterity — The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Hoists — Fixed leads; Hoisting equipment; Swinging leads
- Pile driver tools or its parts or accessories — Diesel hammers; Gravity drop hammers; Pile threaders; Ratchet release shackles
- Pile drivers — Excavator mounted pile drivers; Pile driving equipment
- Slings — Chain slings; Lifting sling
- Two way radios — Mobile radios
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $55,070 or $26.48/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $31,740 and $98,840.
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 42% had a high school diploma or equivalent. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.