Plasterers and Stucco Masons
Plasterers and stucco masons apply interior or exterior plaster, cement, stucco, or similar materials. May also set ornamental plaster.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Cover surfaces such as windows, doors, or sidewalks to protect from splashing.
- Mix mortar and plaster to desired consistency or direct workers who perform mixing.
- Apply coats of plaster or stucco to walls, ceilings, or partitions of buildings, using trowels, brushes, or spray guns.
- Set up scaffolds.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Near Vision — The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Arm-Hand Steadiness — The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
- Manual Dexterity — The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Extent Flexibility — The ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs.
- Trunk Strength — The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Edgers — Corner tools; Inside step tools; Ornamental cut and shape tools; Outside step tools
- Ladders — Stilts
- Paint sprayers — Plaster spraying machines; Spray guns
- Putty knives — Joint knives
- Trowels — Featheredgers; Hand trowels; Power trowels; Scratcher trowels
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $35,650 or $17.14/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $27,570 and $54,540.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2024)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 68% had a less than a high school diploma or equivalent. Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few days to a few months of training.