Riggers set up or repair rigging for construction projects, manufacturing plants, logging yards, ships and shipyards, or for the entertainment industry.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Signal or verbally direct workers engaged in hoisting and moving loads to ensure safety of workers and materials.
- Test rigging to ensure safety and reliability.
- Attach loads to rigging to provide support or prepare them for moving, using hand and power tools.
- Select gear such as cables, pulleys, and winches, according to load weights and sizes, facilities, and work schedules.
- Control movement of heavy equipment through narrow openings or confined spaces, using chainfalls, gin poles, gallows frames, and other equipment.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Control Precision — The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
- Depth Perception — The ability to judge which of several objects is closer or farther away from you, or to judge the distance between you and an object.
- Manual Dexterity — The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Multilimb Coordination — The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting, standing, or lying down. It does not involve performing the activities while the whole body is in motion.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Cold chisels — Flat cold chisels
- Dial indicator or dial gauge — Dial caliper gauges
- Drill press or radial drill — Floor drill presses
- Screwdrivers — Phillips screwdrivers
- Splices or splice plates — Marlinspikes; Rigging vises
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $34,940 or $16.80/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $21,920 and $78,050.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2024)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 80% had a high school diploma or equivalent. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.