Watch a pro
Sheet metal workers fabricate, assemble, install, and repair sheet metal products and equipment, such as ducts, control boxes, drainpipes, and furnace casings.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Fasten seams or joints together with welds, bolts, cement, rivets, solder, caulks, metal drive clips, or bonds to assemble components into products or to repair sheet metal items.
- Trim, file, grind, deburr, buff, or smooth surfaces, seams, or joints of assembled parts, using hand tools or portable power tools.
- Convert blueprints into shop drawings to be followed in the construction or assembly of sheet metal products.
- Determine project requirements, such as scope, assembly sequences, or required methods or materials, using blueprints, drawings, or written or verbal instructions.
- Lay out, measure, and mark dimensions and reference lines on material such as roofing panels, using calculators, scribes, dividers, squares, or rulers.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Near Vision — The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Multilimb Coordination — The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting, standing, or lying down. It does not involve performing the activities while the whole body is in motion.
- Visualization — The ability to imagine how something will look after it is moved around or when its parts are moved or rearranged.
- Information Ordering — The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
- Arm-Hand Steadiness — The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Metal cutters — Aviation snips; Hand notchers; Power notchers; V-notchers
- Metal folding machine — Bar folders; Box and pan brakes; Slip roll formers; Spiral duct machines
- Punches or nail sets or drifts — Center punches; Drifts; Hole punches; Rotary punches
- Rivet tools — Dimplers; Pneumatic riveters; Pop rivet guns; Riveting tools
- Shears — Power shears; Ring and circular shears; Squaring shears; Unishears
AT A GLANCE
The average annual wage is $43,240 or $20.79/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $28,260 and $61,840.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2024)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 60% had a high school diploma or equivalent. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.